“Give the pupils something to do, not something to learn; and the doing is of such a nature as to demand thinking, learning naturally results.”-John Dewey
Children learn by ‘doing’—by getting dirty on the yard, problem-solving through collaboration, and participating in classroom activities that require them to engage with one another and the surrounding space. This understanding of how children learn best was a major motivator in the purchase of the Maple Street building and our subsequent Capital Campaign. The Maple Street building has transformed the everyday experience of our students and teachers. As a result of this project, our total square footage available per student increased by 29%, and our lower yard doubled in size! Students and teachers now have the space they need to plan, play, make mistakes, and engage in hands-on lessons...all tenets of a progressive education!
The doors of Maple Street opened in April 2016 after an incredible first round of fundraising which raised $6.3 million!
What's been completed so far:
- A reconfiguration of the Maple Street building and the construction of classrooms to serve children in Transitional Kindergarten through second grade.
- The creation of a new and expanded community Library and Maker Lab.
- Renovations to our Lower Yard, an outdoor space for students to play, learn, eat lunch, and explore— all under the California sun (or San Francisco fog)!
- An addition to the rear of the Maple Street building to create a faculty lounge where our staff can gather, eat lunch, and exchange ideas together.
We decided to complete the project in phases because we hoped to have our students benefit from the increased space as soon as possible. We are so glad that they are able to enjoy the beautiful classrooms and the adjoining yard. Our Maple Street project is not complete! Still to come are the following:
- The construction of administrative offices and conference space on the third floor of the Maple Street building.
- A redesign of the third floor of the Washington Street building, which will be transformed into a space serving Middle School students exclusively.
Our community's incredible generosity positions us to move forward with the remaining pieces of this project. We invite you to join the ever-expanding roster of generous parents, grandparents, alumni/ae, alumni/ae parents, board members and staff who have invested in the future of Presidio Hill.
If you, or someone you know, would like to donate to the Capital Campaign, please contact our Development Office or make your donation online today. Your gift will enable us to turn years of planning into a reality!