“Give the pupils something to do, not something to learn; and the doing is of such a nature as to demand thinking, learning naturally results.”-John Dewey
Children learn by ‘doing’...by getting dirty on the yard, problem solving through collaboration, and participating in classroom activities that require them to engage with one another and the surrounding space. This understanding of how children learn best was a major motivator in the purchase of the Maple Street building and our subsequent Capital Campaign. The Maple Street building has transformed the lived experience of our students. Through this project, our total square footage available per student increased by 29%, and our lower yard doubled in size! Students and teachers now have the space they need to plan, play, make mistakes, and engage in hands-on lessons...all tenets of a progressive education!
The doors of Maple Street opened in April 2016 after an incredible first round of fundraising, which raised $6.3 million!
Phase 1 allowed for:
- A reconfiguration of the Maple Street building and the construction of classrooms to serve children in Transitional Kindergarten through second grade.
- The creation of a new and expanded community Library and Maker Lab.
- Initial renovations to the yard that is the glue between the Maple Street and Washington Street properties (this space doubled in size!)
Now... We Need to Complete Phase 2!
We decided to complete the project in phases because we hoped to have our students benefit from the increased space as soon as possible. We are so glad that they are able to enjoy the beautiful classrooms and the adjoining yard. With that said, our Maple Street project is not complete! Phase 2 encompasses:
- The creation of a staff room at the Maple Street property (requiring an addition to the rear of the building) where our staff can gather and exchange ideas- COMPLETED OCTOBER 2017
- The construction of administrative offices and conference space on the third floor of the Maple Street building (Click here for the floor plan).
- A redesign of the third floor of the Washington Street building, which will be transformed into a space serving Middle School students exclusively (Click here for the floor plan).
- Landscaping of the yard, the 'glue' of our campus.
At this point, we've raised $175,000! While the total goal for
Phase 2 is $1,000,000, this $175,000 puts us halfway to the $350,000 it'll take to complete the 3rd floor of Maple Street, as well as renovate the 3rd floor of Washington Street.
We invite you to join the ever-expanding roster of generous parents, grandparents, alumni/ae, alumni/ae parents, board members and staff who have invested in the future of Presidio Hill.
If you, or someone you know, would like to donate to the Capital Campaign, please contact our Development Office or make your donation online today. Your gift of any size will enable us to complete this exciting project and turn years of planning into a reality that will celebrate the joy of learning as we move into our 2nd century!